Monday, March 17, 2008

Cookies for Shannon

It's not every day that one of my good friends sets off on a treasure hunting expedition. 

In fact there has never been another day, and probably will not be another to follow. But this Friday is that one day in my lifetime, so I figured Shannon deserved some Peanut Butter cookies before he headed off to the Dominican Republic to salvage millions of dollars worth of treasure! 

He's a boat captain, who's vessel has been contracted to take a the recovery team down south and help them to haul up the goods. He has such a fabulous life!  I'm his favorite ex-girlfriend who loves to bake, making his life that much more fabulous! He has been stuck down in Miami for weeks waiting to set out, and I've been promising him cookies the whole time. So it was time to put out and bake this boy some of his favorites. 

I like my peanut butter cookies thin and crispy, and although I've tried others, the recipe my mom used when I was a child is still my favorite! The recipe dates back as far as my moms mom, so I'm a third generation baker using this one! I'm passing it on, as all good recipes should be!  

Peanut Butter Cookies

1/2 cup Butter
1/2 Peanut Butter
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 egg 
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 cup Flour 

Preheat over 350º 
Cream peanut butter and butter together
Beat in sugar and brown sugar 
Beat in egg
Add vanilla
Stir in baking soda, salt and flour 
Arrange teaspoon full sized cookies on baking sheet
Press cookies down with floured fork
Bake until firm, about 10 minutes 
Enjoy! 


Be safe Shannon, watch out for pirates (seriously!) and bring me back a barnacle like I asked! Miss you already! Hope you enjoy the cookies! 


All Rights Reserved 2008 © Books and Bakes

3 comments:

Jen said...

I love peanut butter cookies! I noticed you've got a silpat baking mat-- do you think it's worth the price? I've been thinking about getting one but I can't decide if it's really better than a sheet of parchment paper.

Alejandra Ramos said...

oh so cute! And I loved how you packed them up!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm
Thanks Darlin, those cookies were great. Now all we have to do is keep the mailman from playing soccer with them before he briings them to me. I'll be after that barnacle for you soon.