Thursday, January 10, 2008

Love in the Time of Cholera

Little by little, listening to her sleep, he pieced together the navigation chart of her dreams and sailed among the countless islands of her secret life.
- Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

A good friend Rachel had recommended this book to me about a year ago, and once I finally got around to reading it I was delighted. Sure I'm certainly not the first person to talk about this book, but it's worth the praise once again, even just from little old me. The above line is so freaking delicious I didn't even know what to do with myself the first time I read it. As a writer that's a line that makes me want to be an even better writer. Of course I would never presume to put myself in ranks with the likes of Garcia Marquez, however, if I'm lucky someday in the future, someone else will do it for me! 


All Rights Reserved 2008 © Books and Bakes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, too, share your love of books and baking! I love both of them because it's how I relax and actually not stress for once in my life. Hahaha.

But back to this post. I read about half of Love in the Time of Cholera. I just got tired of it. The first time I read it I was just spellbound by the book and couldn't put it down. But due to stressful school schedules, I did. So when I came back to this book to try and finish it, I found out that I couldn't.

Marquez just started to bore me with his story. I don't know if it was me or the book but I don't know. The magic was just not there for me.

I'm so proud of you for finishing the book and have one question for you.

Was it worth it (despite of the sometimes boring descriptions, lack of dialogue, and weird circumstances in the novel [all in my opinion])?